What better way to celebrate the end of a long winter and welcome spring than to head to Washington, DC for the National Cherry Blossom Festival? This annual celebration runs from March 20 through April 13 this year. However, the blooming lasts only a few days, and this year the trees are expected to bloom from April 8 through 12. If you want to get a sneak peek of the flowering action, take a look at the live Blossom cam streaming from the Washington Monument!
As always, we at TakeTours have made it our job to find you ways to get there. The overnight trips our vendors offer include round-trip transportation from New York, Boston, and Canada, as well as hotel accommodations– so leave the driving and hotel-booking to us!
Never heard of the National Cherry Blossom Festival? No problem! Here is a quick run-down of what this fun celebration is all about:
- In 1912, 3,000 Japanese “sakura” cherry trees were given to the United States as a gift of friendship from Mayor Yukio Ozaki of Toyko, Japan.
- Every year, approximately 1.5 million people from around the world travel to see the beautiful trees in bloom during the spring.
- The blossoms themselves aren’t the only draw- there are also fun extra events for guests to attend! Highlights include the Community Art Show March 20 through April 24, the 4th Annual Blossom Kite Festival on March 29, the Southwest Waterfront Fireworks Festival on April 5, and the National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade on April 12. If you would like to keep up-to-date of the latest festival events, you can download the official Cherry Blossom Festival app here.
- There are also many restaurants that participate by having special spring menus for the duration of the festival. Click here for suggestions on which restaurants have the best offers.
What are the benefits of taking a Cherry Blossom trip booked on TakeTours.com?
- Aside from the convenience of not having to drive and saving on gas, overnight trips already include hotel accommodations so you won’t need to worry about booking those yourselves!
- Day tours start at only $22 and overnight tours start at $115.
- One-day tours run daily from March 15 through April 15.
- Tours from New York have Monday, Wednesday, or Saturday departures; tours from Boston have Friday departures, and tours from Toronto have Saturday departures. Departure locations and days are chosen based on offering the most convenient for most people.
- You will have the opportunity to embark on a Potomac River Cruise to get a better look at the cherry blossoms!
Book your DC Cherry Blossom Tour today!