Feeling hungry? Don’t be..because we have delicious reasons you should book a trip to Hawaii!
Though Hawaii is known for its beautiful beaches, volcanoes, weather, and scenery, it’s also known for its wonderful authentic island-style cuisine. This is by no means a complete list – and everyone you ask, will give a different opinion – here are some delicious reasons you should book a trip to Hawaii, yummy suggestions on what types of foods to eat – and where to get them in paradise!
- Liliha Bakery is famous for its unique sweet treats and warm family atmosphere, complete with 1950s style counter seating. If you ask tourists and locals, they will say the most popular menu items are either the chantilly chocolate cake or the coco puffs. If you have the time to sit down and enjoy your fresh treats, you must try one of their famous butter rolls. We recommend taking extras to go!
- When we think of spam, we think of obnoxious, unwanted emails that seem to clutter our email inboxes daily. But for many around the world, including Hawaiians, Spam is known as something else entirely; food. This canned precooked meat was introduced in 1937 and rose to popularity by 1945 after being handed out to soldiers during World War II. Today, Spam is one of the most popular foods in Hawaii. Even though it’s not as popular in other areas of the world, it can be found in stores worldwide. There’s even a Waikiki Spam Jam Festival dedicated to… you guessed it, Spam! With plenty of food vendors, craft booths, games, musical entertainment, and more, the Spam Jam’s family-friendly atmosphere is known as one of the top yearly food festivals in Hawaii. There are many places on the islands to get an authentic “Spam-meal”, but we’ve heard great things about Mac 24/7 that puts modern twists on old favorites and serves Spam on a half pound angus cheeseburger or fried in their sumo saimin soup. If you’re feeling brave enough to try a Spam dessert, grab a SPAMalot ice cream sandwich from Uncle’s Handmade Ice Cream shop!
- Shave ice is, without a doubt, one of the favorite dishes of Hawaiian cuisine, according to travelers we surveyed. Depending on the island everyone has their own favorite place to go, but the most popular place seems to be Wailola Shave Ice, with thousands of flavor combination possibilities, including Coca Cola, Creamsicle, lemonade, margarita, and passion fruit, we can see why! Other close contenders for the best shaved ice are Ululani’s Hawaiian Shave Ice and Matsumoto Shave Ice.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, we highly recommend trying poke. Poke is raw seafood appetizer or side dish that’s marinated in sauces that you choose. Since the seafood is raw, make sure to pick places that are good quality and know how to properly prepare the fish. A few of our recommendations are Tamashiro Market, Da Poke Shack, and Eskimo Candy.
- You can’t visit any of the Hawaiian islands without attending a traditional luau, the perfect way to experience Hawaiian cuisine and culture. This one isn’t so much about the food as it is about the experience accompanying it (though the food is delicious also!). Authentic luaus will serve an array of Hawaiian foods and drinks, including whole roasted kalua pig, haupia, lau lau, poke, seafood, mai tais, pineapples, chicken long rice, and so much more!
At TakeTours.com, we are here to help make your travel experiences as seamless as possible. If this blog had your mouths watering for some authentic island cuisine, then let us help you book your Hawaiian vacation!