Maid of the Mist Opening May 10 – Moms Ride Free on Mother’s Day!


Maid of the Mist

The world-famous Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls is about to kick off their 129th consecutive season! On May 10, the wet-and-wild boatride on the American side of the falls opens for 2014. To celebrate, Maid of the Mist is offering FREE rides for mom on Mother’s Day, May 11! After the long, cold winter the Northeast saw this year, the familiar spray of the Falls in the country’s oldest state park is sure to be welcome!

The ride itself allows guests to the park to get as close to the falls as possible– the boats drive right into the spray of the water where the Niagara River tumbles over the cliffside. For those of you afraid of getting soaked, don’t worry- the famous plastic ponchos will still be provided prior to departure!

This year is bringing some of the biggest changes the popular boatride has ever seen. For 150 years, the Maid of the Mist had run boats from both the Canadian and American sides of the falls. However, starting in 2014, the Canadian half of the business will now be operated by Hornblower Niagara Cruises. Tours on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls will no longer be operated under the “Maid of the Mist” name, and instead will be operating under the names “Niagara Thunder” and “Niagara Wonder.” The Hornblower boats have special new features such as retractable glass for “dry-viewing” areas, 360-degree tiered decks to see all angles of the Falls, and handicap accessibility.

Ushering in the new season is easy with TakeTours; trips to Niagara start at just $108 per person and offer departures from New York, New Jersey, Boston, and Montreal. Don’t forget, all overnight tours include hotel accommodations!

Many of these tours also offer a buy-2-get-3rd-free special, so get your friends and family to join the trip with you and take advantage of this fabulous deal. Please visit the Niagara Falls tour page on for more information!

We would like to remind tourists to bring proper travel documents when necessary: you need a valid passport to travel back into the United States from the Canadian side.